And where can I use an electric scooter?
Electric scooters have been available in some form for a long time. But recently, they’ve become extremely popular in major cities as ride-sharing services have started to make them available worldwide. But, are electric scooters worth it? Would you use an e-scooter enough for the purchase to make sense?
Of course, the answer to this question depends on you. However, we can help explore the costs of ownership and compare them against other similar forms of transportation.
What does it cost to own an electric scooter?
Generally speaking, the cost of an e-scooter is comparable to a bicycle, which makes a lot of sense as many of the parts are similar. Consider the following costs:
- The cost of the scooter: The type of scooter you buy, the brand name, and the features you select will impact the cost. We recommend taking a close look at the distances, speed required, conditions of road you’ll be riding, and general climate as you make your decision.Most electric scooters are designed to travel at around 20 miles per hour which is a medium-fast cruising bicycle speed. For most city environments, this is fast enough. However, if you’ll be on country or larger roads with faster traffic, you may want a scooter that can move much faster.Is the pavement smooth, or rough? Are there lots of potholes or is the road freshly paved? This will help you determine what size of wheels are required and whether you should consider a scooter with a suspension system.
- Safety Gear: Make sure to factor in the cost of a helmet at a minimum, and perhaps consider the requirements of a high-visibility vest, knee pads, or elbow/knee pads.
- Recharge Costs – Electricity: The power requirements to re-charge an electric scooter are exceptionally small. In most areas, expect this cost to be under $10 per month with daily recharges.
- Spare Parts and Replacements: Just like a bicycle, the tires will eventually wear out and require replacement. We’ve found that you should plan to replace tires approximately every 1-2 years ($15 each) and inner-tubes ($3-5) approximately 1-2 times per year with regular use. Of course, the type of riding and terrain will have a large impact on these timelines.
- Replacement cost of the scooter: There’s no set lifespan of an electric scooter, but Li-Ion batteries wear out after 1,000 to 2,000 charges, which is probably about 5 years of use.
Advantages of an Electric Scooter and Advantages of an Electric Bike
In high traffic cities, electric scooters can let you route between and around cars faster than any other form of transportation.
Electric scooters enable a perfect symmetry with public transportation and let you use it more. Much more. The reason is that most people aren’t going to exactly where the bus or train station is, as their destination is often half a mile or more away. With an electric scooter, you can easily fold it and carry it right on. At your destination, unfold and go! You’ll be more likely to take a scooter to places that you would never be able to take a bicycle, and you’ll benefit the environment much more than taking a taxi the entire way.
We’ve also found that most office buildings allow taking the scooter right up the elevator, whereas bicycles are often required to park in a garage.
Electric Scooters are easily fold-able and transportable. The folding size of most e-scooters is (very roughly) 30 inches x 16 inches x 12 inches, which is about the size of a set of golf clubs. So how many electric scooters would fit in the trunk? Most vehicles could easily hold 2-3.
Electric scooters are quiet, keeping the air clean, and are probably helping to save the environment. Skip the motorcycle, skip the car. Instead, use the bus or train and then the scooter. Get to where you’re going no-sweat and on a timeline. They’re infinitely practical and modern versions are very stylish.
So are electric scooters worth it?
Yes, electric scooters are worth it for most people. Unless you live in an extremely steep or hilly area, are unable to balance on a bike, or live outside the practical range of an electric scooter, we feel that owning one will improve your life in ways you might not expect. They are fun, ecologically advantageous, time saving, and very efficient and safe form of transportation.
The founder of Zendrian believes in electric scooters so much that he rides one to work every day. We think you’ll enjoy the same benefits should you make the investment too!
For any questions on which e-scooter is the right one for you, how to use one, or whether it makes sense for your specific need, let us know. We’re always here!